Skip to main content

Interior Design Collections in the Kellen Design Archives

An overview of materials available for researchers interested in exploring the history of interior design using the Kellen Design Archives.

More Renderings

More collections containing renderings will be found on the Interior Design Student Work Collections page of this guide.

From the Eleanor Horst interior decoration photographs and renderings

Collections with renderings

Collection titles in red indicate a collection guide is available online. Click on the title to open a guide in a new window.

In 1960, Bess Bernard established her own company, Bernard Design International, Ltd., specializing in interior design projects for commercial and residential spaces. The collection (1960s-1980s) consists of 42 watercolor and pencil renderings produced by various artists for Bernard Design International.

Jeremiah Goodman (1922-  ), studied at Parsons School of Design and the Franklin School of Professional Art in the 1940s, and went on to become a sought-after illustrator of interiors, creating covers for Interior Design magazine for fifteen years. The Kellen Design Archives' collection consists of nine watercolor renderings and one reproduction, dating from the 1970s and the '80s.

Elizabeth Geary Hoopes Krusen (1908-2006) was a student and instructor at the New York School of Fine and Applied Art (later, Parsons The New School for Design). She specialized in watercolor interior design renderings. The collection consists of four renderings of residential interiors by Hoopes, two of which were commissioned by McMillen, Inc.

In the 1930s, Harry Marinsky (1909-  ) worked as art director for Country Life and American Home magazine, rendering interiors for the magazine's covers. In the 1950s and 1960s, Marinsky illustrated for many publications, including House and Garden, House Beautiful and Woman's Day. The collection contains approximately 70 watercolor renderings of residential and commercial interiors.

Lyman Martin (1908-2003) graduated from Parsons in 1939 and went to work for Thedlow, a prestigious interior decoration firm. After serving in World War II, Martin returned to Thedlow, where he created interiors, produced watercolor renderings, designed rugs and painted murals for clients. In 1969, Martin was appointed president of Thedlow and stayed until the company closed in 1979. The collection (1928-1992) includes student work, renderings and drawings of interiors, sketches, an illustrated European travel diary, floor plans, photographs, news clippings, and exhibition records.